Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Endesha Ida Mae Holland

I was following the trail of a playwright and professor at USC named Endesha Ida Mae Holland. She grew up in Greenwood and lived there during the time when my grandfather owned Booker's Place. She wrote a play called "From the Mississippi Delta" that was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.  Maybe I'm naive, but I was convinced that since the town was so small that she would know something about my grandfather. I just found out that she died, ironically, within a few days of Coretta Scott King in 2006.

However, this led me back to a source that I discovered during my summer class, Veteran's of the Civil Rights Movement, crmvet.org. This may a good source for people who were politcally active in Greenwood during the time when Booker was there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment