Wednesday, April 13, 2011

David Zellerford

Today was a rough day.  I knew before I woke up that it would be.  For years I've had a hope for my family and tonight we were supposed to start the journey that would fulfill that hope.  But we didn't start our journey.  The start date is indefinitely delayed.

I woke up several times through the night last night.  I didn't want to face today.

All in all the day was fairly routine.  This morning my kids and I met their grandma (my mother-in-law) at The Farm at South Mountain.  We had breakfast there and walked past their garden.  My kids studied their chickens and their cacti.  We were there for so long that we ended up buying lunch to go.  Then the kids and I went to the splash pad to hang out with their pals.  I hoped that staying active would make it easy for me to maintain a happy face.  My oldest son can read me like a book.

In the end it was a long, hot, wet, and fun day.  After Milt came home from work I went to run some errands.  When I came back I had an email from Sherry Rankins-Robertson and one from Donny Whitehead.  Before I could finish reading the emails, Sherry was calling me on the phone to tell me that earlier that day she was contacted by a man named David Zellerford who said that he has film footage of my grandfather.

I was elated and numb at the same time.  I knew in an instant that while today most likely marked the end of one hope, it was going to be the realization of another.  

I emailed David, he emailed back and told me to call him anytime tomorrow.  I couldn't wait so I called him tonight.  It's the film.  He has the film of Booker Wright talking to the NBC news crew.  He didn't send it to me because he wants to film my reaction.  I don't know why he'd want to film my reaction, but I really don't care.

I can't believe this is happening.  I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see the film, if it really even existed.  It feels like my fate is rising up to meet me when I really need it the most.  

3 comments:

  1. I remember this like it was yesterday. Pardon my sentimentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvette,

    I am watching Dateline and I am so engrossed in this story because It is one of a million untold stories about victims of of racial prejudice and abuse suffered by African Americans from slavery to Obama. It is hard to believe that in 2012 there is still efforts to maintain a segregated oppressive society that is openly denying equal opportunities for African Americans. Thank you for taking this journey to find your Grandfather. I live in Atlanta where you "hear more about the Civil War than the Civil Rights Movement".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are millions of untold stories, just like this one. Thank you for engaging!

      Delete