Saturday, November 29, 2014

REPAST on NPR

Listening right now to Debbie Elliott's story about REPAST (the oratorio about my grandfather)!  I have been working on this story since I first learning about it in the summer of 2007 and it never ceasing to amaze me how moved people are by my grandfather's words.

It breaks my heart to think of what he went through and that so many people who knew him (white and black) didn't really KNOW him, because they didn't perceive how painful it was for him to be humiliated every single day simply because he was black...

Even worse?  While being humiliated he had to smile.

I have loved learning about his life, sharing it in the documentary Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story, writing about it in my upcoming book, Searching for Booker Wright, but more than anything I love speaking about it.

I've been able to take his story and the ideas that still resonate today to colleges, corporations, and community groups around the nation.

Though he died the year before I was born, my love for Booker Wright continues to nourish me.

2 comments:

  1. Just heard your grandfather's story on NPR this morning. He was truly heroic. I look forward to watching the documentary you co-produced about his experience soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sài Gòn ồn ào náo nhiệt giữa thành phố phồn hoa này tìm một không gian yên tĩnh, thư giãn giúp bạn được thả lỏng người tận hưởng khoản khắc yên bình. Thì không quá khó không vì hiện nay có nhiều không gian quán cafe yên tĩnh tại sài gòn với những quán cafe đẹp ở sài gòn được mọi người biết đến với không gian ấm cúng tạo cảm giác gần gũi thân quen.Chắc hẳn sẽ là sự lựa chọn hoàn hảo cho bạn. Hôm nay chúng tôi công ty thiết kế nội thất tphcm giúp bạn chọn lựa không gian thiết kế quán cafe phù hợp với xu hướng hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete