Friday, July 22, 2011

He Wrote Back

Today I received a letter in the mail from the man who murdered my grandfather.  Actually, I should say that today I received a letter from the man who is serving a life sentence for murdering my grandfather.  I don't know if Lloyd Cork killed Booker Wright.  I know that when my grandfather was dying in his hospital bed that he told people that Lloyd Cork shot him.

If you're not familiar with what's odd about the murder then here's some background.  First, 38 years after it happened, eyewitnesses to the murder seem reluctant to talk about it.  See this post and this one.  Second, the trial itself seemed to raise more questions than it answered.  Third, Booker's lifelong companion is being less than helpful with this research.

At some point in my life I watched a TV show in which a person was asked to place their hand in a box that either had a snake in it, jello, or a boatload of cash.  That's kind of how I felt when I reached out to Lloyd Cork.  That's actually how I still feel.  In the letter Cork claims that he didn't kill Booker.  But this line is the anthem of most prisoners, so does it really mean anything in this case?

In the letter he sent me, Cork explains that he let Booker borrow a car of his even though it had $100k in the trunk.  If he'd have said that the car had $1k in the trunk it would've sounded suspicious from what I know about this man's economic background.  Saying that he had $100k sounds almost insane.  The most important thing in the letter is that Cork said he'd be willing to talk on the phone with me and/or meet me face-to-face.

I definitely want to meet him in person.  The filmmakers are trying to figure out a way for me to call him and record the call so that they can include it in the movie.  I'm wrestling with the best course of action.  I really want to see the look on his face.

6 comments:

  1. I saw the movie on iTunes a few days ago. Very powerful! I posted a question on FB asking if anyone had had an opportunity to speak with Blackie since filming wrapped. Glad to hear you've been in touch w/him. Money in the trunk of a car? Seems to be hedging. Hopefully, you'll be able to meet in person-it's more difficult to lie when face to face.

    Finally, what's the statue of limitations on cases like this? If you find out that it was indeed the sheriff's idea, what type of legal action can be taken now? I mean, it took years, but they eventually got Medgar's killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia,

      Thanks so much for taking the time to watch our film. I definitely want to sit down with Blackie face-to-face to ask him these very questions myself. I don't think Mississippi has a statute of limitations on murder, or even on being an accomplice to murder. I'm continuing to research on my own for personal reasons as well as for a book I'm writing. I'll be sure to keep this blog up to date as I learn more.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I look forward to reading and sharing your book!

      Delete
  2. I just watched Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story and I was very moved by it. I am wondering, if Lloyd's mission was carried out by the doctor that delivered the message to Booker's family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This corrupt justice system don't care anything about a black killing another black, one to nine years and you're back on the streets, unless you're a threat to imprison someone who's responsible for keeping you in lock-down, it's not natural for a black to kill another black of low position and get life already served 38 years and not out on parole, seems like a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This corrupt justice system don't care anything about a black killing another black, one to nine years and you're back on the streets, unless you're a threat to imprison someone who's responsible for keeping you in lock-down, it's not natural for a black to kill another black of lower position and get a life sentence, served 38 years in prison and still not out on parole, seems like a mystery, I wonder if Booker Wright was related to Alfred Wright the young man they just recently found murdered in Texas? Another mystery!!!

    ReplyDelete