Monday, March 17, 2008

March 17

Had two great conversations this afternoon, one with Amy Evans and another with Donny Whitehead. Donny has created a website www.aboutgreenwoodms.com. It has pictures and some interesting information about the town. He had not heard of Booker, but he was sure that he had at least heard of Booker's Place. He acknowledged that many of the things that had to do with black history in Greenwood had not been recorded. He was very interested in Booker's story. He knows a few elderly blacks in the community who he feels should have a recollection of Booker or the establishment.

Donny is also going to search for the news story about Booker's death. I feel excited and a little sad. I still catch myself at times longing to meet Booker, wishing he could have known me. Thinking about his death brings some of this back.

Amy Evans encouraged me to contact Karen Pinkston. I reread some of the interview that Amy did with Karen. It is probably the best lead I have so far about what Booker said to the news program. I am hoping that Karen will be able to get me in contact either with customers who may remember Booker or with people in the community who may have known him. She mentioned that I should speak with Senator Jordan. I shared with her how my first interview with him went and her feedback was helpful and encouraging. She told me that he went to Booker's funeral, this was something I didn't even think to ask the Senator about. So, I am going to be following up with him and asking him as well if he knows of anyone else who can tell me about Booker. I also want to ask him about the funeral, what he remember, who was there, is anyone who was available for me to speak with.

I feel so handicapped here. I wish I was there and that I could just jump into a car and head down to this place or that. Technology is great but it is not the same as being able to look these people in the face and listen with more than just my ears.

1 comment:

  1. Yvette, I'm very interested in Booker's Place and plan to mention it in post on my blog on the history of American restaurants, in which I have frequently dealt with racism in restaurants. Please contact me at

    janwhitaker@verizon.net

    I have some questions I want to ask you before I post.
    Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete