Saturday, March 15, 2008

Uncle Charlie

On page 275 of "Weary Feet Rested Souls" I found the following sentence: "The first black sherriff's deputy in Leflore County, Charles Cooley, was hired in 1971 and he went on to a twenty-five year career in law enforcement". Uncle Charlie was my mother's uncle. I remember him being mentioned many times when I was young. He and Doris, my grandmother, were incredibly close. My grandmother died in late November of 2002. That December I traveled to Greenwood with my mother to attend the funeral. I can't recall exactly how long it was after the funeral, but I think it was only a matter of days, when the following events occurred. One afternoon Uncle Charlie was at home with his children, his wife and his grandchildren. He got up off the couch, went into the bathroom and shot himself in the head. He died instantly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment