Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week of March 10 – March 16

Here’s how things shook out this week and the outlook for the week to come:

As far as the African American National Biography goes, I went to the website and read some sample entries. From what I know so far of Booker, I do think that his story would be compelling enough to include in their listing. So, basically I need to get some solid sources and I would like to have the major pieces of the story relayed to me by more than one person. To that end I have been working on some leads that might be able to provide these different perspectives.

There is a book called “Weary Feet, Rested Souls: A Guided History of the Civil Rights Movement”. The book focuses on people and places that were important during the Civil Rights Movement and that were still around when the book was written in 1995. It mentions Booker’s Place and refers to it as a “Movement joint”. About a month ago I tried to reach the author of the book, Townsend Davis, by contacting the publisher, but I never heard back. I spoke with someone in the marketing department, but as I was flipping through the book today I noticed that Davis names his editor at Norton in the acknowledgements, so I may try him as well and possibly Davis’ agent if he mentions him. I am basically trying to reach Davis to see if he can recommend other sources to me.

There are a few people listed in the Greenwood section of “Weary Feet” who I am hoping may still be around. One of them is Reverend Aaron Johnson. He worked at the East Percy Street Christian Church. I have a phone number but there has not been any answer so far. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe they will answer on Sunday. I am also trying to reach Simon Garrett. He worked at the Century Funeral Home and handled the body of Emmitt Till. I am wondering if he knew of Booker or if he frequented the establishment when Booker owned it.
I also sent an email to Amy Evans; she interviewed Karen Pinkston the owner of Lusco’s. She was out of the office for Spring Break.

I contacted the Greenwood Library; they pointed me in the direction of a man named Donny Whitehead. They said that he has studied Greenwood history extensively. They also said that they have all of their newspapers on microfilm, but I would have to know what I was looking for – which of course I don’t. But hopefully I can use that resource when the time comes.

Lastly, I am still trying to hunt down someone from Endesha Mae Holland’s family. She wrote a book called “From the Mississippi Delta” about growing up in Greenwood and her involvement in the civil rights movement. She wrote a play that was performed Off Broadway, it was partially financed by Oprah Winfrey and it was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.

Her son lives in Buffalo, NY. His number isn’t listed. I may be able to get his address and mail a letter to him; I just need to think it through a little more. Endesha Holland frequented Booker’s Place with friends and I would love to hear from one of them what they remember about Booker and his restaurant.

I am also going to be interviewing my “unofficial” aunt this coming week. Her name is Nadeen Cooley, she is my mother’s cousin but they grew up like sisters, living in the same house. In our short conversation the other day it was clear that she remembers Booker fondly and that she is eager to share interesting information. One of the things she shared that I found fascinating is that they could not afford dolls so they made their own out of old soda bottles and caps. They used sea grass for the hair and hammered the lids back on to make the hair stay in its place. The hair was always “blond”. It was long and they would comb it and style it. Interesting.

I am doing two interviews with Nadeen, the first will be Monday night and the second will be later in the week. Hopefully, she will also be able to provide some leads for sources outside of the family. I also put in a call to my aunt Vera asking her to be thinking of people who are still living that may have known Booker or went to his establishment. I will also try to find some sort of historical society that may be useful. Lastly, I have yet another aunt named Dani who still lives in Greenwood. She may have a better knowledge of older people in the community who may remember Booker.

It’s going to be a busy week.

1 comment: